Degree up grilled corn on the cob with this straightforward elote recipe! Smothered with mayo, chile, cheese, and lime, it is creamy, tangy, smoky, and candy.
When summer time candy corn comes hits peak season, this elote recipe goes on repeat in our home. I like corn on the cob in all its iterations, however one thing about elote is very irresistible. This grilled Mexican avenue corn is creamy, tangy, candy, and smoky. Should you’ve by no means tried it—or by no means tried making it at residence—now’s the time. Let’s make it!
What Is Elote?
Additionally known as Mexican avenue corn, elote is a Mexican preparation of corn on the cob. The ears of corn are grilled, then slathered with mayo or crema, and eventually topped with lime, chile, and Mexican cheese corresponding to Cotija.
Generally bought by avenue distributors in Mexico, elote makes an amazing snack. I additionally like to serve it as a facet dish at summer time cookouts and BBQs.
Elote Recipe Components
Right here’s what you’ll must make this elote recipe:
- Recent candy corn, after all! Use the freshest corn on the cob you’ll find.
- Mayonnaise – It creates a creamy coating for the corn and helps the opposite fixings stick. I like the flavour of 100% mayo on elote, however in case you want, you’ll be able to sub Mexican crema or bitter cream for some or all of it.
- Recent lime juice and zest – For brightness.
- Chili powder or ancho chile powder – It provides smoky taste and a bit warmth.
- Cotija cheese – For salty taste and tang. You probably have hassle discovering Cotija cheese on the grocery retailer, a bit crumbled feta cheese will work as an alternative. It gained’t style precisely the identical, however it is going to nonetheless be scrumptious!
- Recent cilantro – For a recent, fragrant of entirety.
- And sea salt – To style! As a result of mayo and Cotija cheese are each salty already, you could not want it. I like to recommend taking a chew of your elote earlier than you sprinkle on extra salt.
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
Grilling the Corn
Step one on this elote recipe is grilling the corn. I share two strategies in my recipe for grilled corn on the cob—with the husks and with out.
Both will work right here. Nonetheless, having some char on the corn kernels actually enhances the smoky taste on this recipe. Should you select to grill the corn within the husks, you could wish to pull them again for the previous few minutes of cooking in order that some char marks type on the kernels themselves.
When you grill the corn, make a easy sauce by stirring collectively the mayo, lime juice, and lime zest.
Use a pastry brush or butter knife to slather the mayo combination throughout every ear of corn.
Sprinkle with the chili powder, Cotija, and cilantro, and season to style with salt. Serve with lime wedges on the facet. Take pleasure in!
What to Serve with Elote
Elote is a tasty snack by itself, however it’s additionally an amazing facet dish for every kind of summer time meals.
How do you prefer to serve elotes? Let me know within the feedback!
Extra Favourite Corn Recipes
Should you love this elote recipe, attempt considered one of these different summer time corn recipes subsequent:
Elote (Grilled Mexican Road Corn) Recipe
Should you’ve by no means tried Mexican elote—or by no means tried making it at residence—you HAVE to make this recipe! Candy and smoky grilled corn is smothered with mayo, chile, lime, and cheese. You will not discover a extra scrumptious facet dish or snack.
Stop your display from going darkish
Grill the corn based on this recipe.
In a small bowl, stir collectively the mayonnaise and lime juice and zest.
Unfold the mayo combination over the corn and sprinkle with the chili powder, Cotija, and cilantro. Season to style with salt and serve with lime wedges for squeezing.
*A mixture of ¼ cup Mexican crema or bitter cream and ¼ cup mayonnaise is a scrumptious various to all mayo.