There’s one thing particular and nostalgic about meals that’s handed down by means of generations. This specific recipe is from my Puerto Rican mama and is a enjoyable twist on her conventional rice and beans, a recipe I grew up on.
Once I was visiting her years in the past, she talked about this new recipe for me to strive: chickpeas in sofrito! She stated it was completely scrumptious and that the feel of the chickpeas added a singular creamy taste profile. I instructed her I might make it as quickly as I received dwelling and once I did, I simply couldn’t get sufficient! So after all, I needed to share the recipe with all of you.
5 years later my household comes again to this recipe time and time once more after we’re craving a nourishing, hearty weeknight dinner.
Every thing you’ll have to make chickpeas in sofrito
- Chickpeas: the chickpeas add the proper enhance of protein and get tremendous flavorful within the seasonings.
- Sofrito: in Spanish, sofrito means sauce, and it’s very conventional relating to Puerto Rican meals. My model is a combination of garlic, onion, inexperienced bell pepper, cilantro and tomato sauce. Some do it with contemporary tomatoes and culantro, however that is how I usually make it.
- Sazon: sazon is a extremely popular Puerto Rican spice. Be happy to make use of store-bought sazon packets or strive my do-it-yourself sazon seasoning!
- Inexperienced pigeon peas: inexperienced pigeon peas are INCREDIBLE and really, superb for you. See beneath (and within the notes part) for a swap for those who can’t discover them on the retailer!
- Rice: I like to make use of white basmati rice as a result of it will get tremendous fluffy. Please observe that for those who use a special sort of rice (like brown rice) the cooking time will seemingly change.
Swap the pigeon peas
In case you don’t have pigeon peas, that are conventional, you should utilize inexperienced peas as a substitute. Merely improve the water within the recipe by ½ cup (so that you’d have 3 ½ cups whole). After you convey water to a boil you may add 1 cup of frozen peas and the rice.
Easy methods to make chickpeas in sofrito
- Make the sofrito. Begin by making your sofrito by cooking down the onion, inexperienced pepper, cilantro and garlic. As soon as they soften decrease the warmth and simmer with tomato sauce.
- Add the chickpeas. In the identical pot add within the chickpeas and broth and simmer on low so the chickpeas infuse with the sauce.
- Make the arroz con gandules. Whereas the chickpeas are cooking, make one other batch of sofrito in a brand new pot and add in your can of pigeon peas (liquid included!) Add water, convey it to a boil, after which stir in your rice. Let the rice simmer on low till tender.
- Season & serve. Style each the chickpeas and the rice and alter the seasonings as wanted. Then serve with additional sauce from the beans, cilantro, and avocado slices!
Serving & storing suggestions
- To serve: be at liberty to double the recipe to feed a bigger household or buddies! It’s a assured crowd-pleaser. I like to serve this recipe with avocado slices and tostones.
- To retailer: merely retailer any leftover rice and beans in airtight containers within the fridge for as much as 4-5 days. This recipe is ideal for meal prep!
Extra of my household recipes you’ll love
Get much more nourishing dinner recipes right here!
I hope you’re keen on this chickpeas in sofrito recipe! In case you make it remember to depart a remark and a score so I understand how you appreciated it. Get pleasure from, xo!
Mama’s Chickpea in Sofrito with Arroz con Gandules
My mama’s scrumptious vegetarian Puerto Rican-inspired chickpeas in sofrito served with arroz con gandules (rice with pigeon peas). This comforting, scrumptious chickpeas in sofrito recipe is simple to make and full of over 13g of plant-based protein! The right vegan dinner that is nice for meal prep.
- For the sofrito (for the chickpeas):
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup very finely diced yellow onion
- ½ cup very finely diced inexperienced bell pepper
- ⅓ cup finely diced cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce (from one 15 oz can — reserve additional sauce for rice)
- 3 teaspoons (2 packets) Sazon (see observe in recipe for how you can make your individual)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 ½ cups low sodium vegetarian broth (or water)
- For the rice:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup very finely diced yellow onion
- ⅓ cup very finely diced inexperienced bell pepper
- ¼ cup finely diced cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup no salt added tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons (2 packets) sazon seasoning (see observe in recipe for how you can make your individual)
- 1 (15 oz) can inexperienced pigeon peas*
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups basmati white rice
- To garnish:
- Further contemporary chopped cilantro
- Avocado slices
First make your Sofrito: Sofrito in Spanish means sauce — very conventional in lots of the essential staple meals in Puerto Rico: Add olive oil to a medium pot and place over medium warmth. As soon as oil is scorching, add in onion, inexperienced bell pepper, cilantro and garlic. Saute till onions are translucent and inexperienced peppers soften, about 2-4 minutes. Convey warmth to low and add tomato sauce, sazon and simmer for 2-3 minutes till sauce comes collectively.
Add within the chickpeas and broth and simmer uncovered over low warmth when you cook dinner the rice, stirring sometimes, in order that the spices infuse with the beans. In case you discover the liquid getting too low, it in all probability means you have been simmering at too excessive of a warmth, however no worries you may merely add one other ½ cup water or broth.
Whereas the chickpeas are simmering with sofrito, begin making the rice: Add oil to a medium pot and place over medium warmth. As soon as oil is scorching, add in onion, inexperienced pepper, cilantro and garlic. Saute till onions are translucent and inexperienced peppers soften, about 2-4 minutes. Convey warmth to medium-low and add tomato sauce, sazon and simmer for two minutes till sauce comes collectively.
Subsequent add in complete can of pigeon peas (with the liquid — DO NOT DRAIN) add 3 cups water, and produce to a boil. As soon as it boils, stir in 2 cups of rice, cowl, cut back warmth to low and simmer 20 minutes or till rice is tender.
Style each the rice and the chickpeas and alter seasonings as mandatory, together with including extra salt.
Easy methods to serve: add rice and beans to a bowl with additional sauce from the beans, garnish with cilantro and some avocado slices — serve with tostones for those who’re feeling like a real Puerto Rican! Serves 4-6.
*For the pigeon peas: for those who don’t have pigeon peas, that are conventional, you should utilize inexperienced peas as a substitute. Merely improve the water within the recipe by ½ cup (so that you’d have 3 ½ cups whole). After you convey the water to a boil you may add 1 cup of frozen peas and the rice.
Serving: 1servingEnergy: 459calCarbohydrates: 87.8gProtein: 13.9gFats: 6.1gSaturated Fats: 0.4gFiber: 10.3gSugar: 4.4g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Formidable Kitchen Images by: Yoga of Cooking
This put up was initially revealed on November twenty ninth, 2018, and republished on September twenty fourth, 2023.